Cliniko lets you connect an external calendar so that your Cliniko schedule can be viewed from other calendars like iCal, Google Calendar, and Outlook. You can connect any calendar that allows you to subscribe to an iCalendar.
One thing to keep in mind is that this is a one-way sync, so if you make updates to your schedule while logged into Cliniko, those updates will be pushed to your external calendar. However, if you make updates to your schedule on your external calendar, they won't be pushed back to Cliniko.
Step One: Enabling Your External Calendar
As a practitioner, you can enable external calendars for your account. Here's how to do this!
- In the bottom left-hand corner, you'll see your name. Click on it and then select My Info.
- In the Practitioner Information panel, tick the Enable external calendar option.
- This will give you your unique URL for your personal calendar feed. Below is an example of what this looks like.
Please keep this URL secure, as anyone with this address can subscribe to your calendar. If you ever need to, you can disable and re-enable the external calendar and it will issue you a new URL.
Step Two: Connecting Your External Calendar
You can connect to any external calendar that allows for subscriptions to an iCalendar. We've provided you with some example instructions for some of the most popular calendars, such as:
- Open Calendar for Mac.
- Go to the File menu and choose New Calendar Subscription.
- Enter the calendar URL that you enabled in the earlier part of this guide. Then press the Subscribe button.
- Configure your calendar by choosing a name and setting the auto-refresh period. We recommend every hour (this means that your Mac calendar will check for any new appointments every hour). Then choose "OK."
After a few seconds, your calendar should be ready and will show up in your list of "Other" calendars.
And that's it for syncing your Cliniko calendar with your Mac calendar!
- On your iPhone, find the Settings app.
- Find the Mail, Contacts, Calendars setting.
- Select Time Zone Override.
- Make sure that Time Zone Override is turned on. This ensures that event dates and times on your calendar will always display in the selected time zone. If it's turned off, your events will display according to the time zone of your current location.
- Go back to the main calendar settings, and click Add Account.
- Select Other.
- Go to Add Subscribed Calendar.
- In the Server field, type in address of your External Calendar feed and then click Next. (The address is quite long, so you may find it easier to log into Cliniko on your iPhone, head to the My Info tab, copy the address, and then go back to Settings on your iPhone and paste the address directly into the Server field.)
- Edit the description of your calendar (this is optional) and click Done.
- Your calendar will now display as one of the Subscribed Calendars on your iPhone.
- Now, go to your Calendar app and select "Calendar" from the bottom.
You should now see your new Cliniko calendar under the heading that says Subscribed.
And that's it for syncing your Cliniko calendar with your iPhone calendar!
One thing to note: if you upgrade to a new iOS (the iPhone's operating system; the latest version is called iOS 8), you may experience a broken sync. If this happens, remove the subscribed calendar and repeats the steps above to get the sync set up again.
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Go to your calendar, and select Other Calendars. From the menu, choose Add by URL.
- Enter the calendar URL that you enabled in the earlier part of this guide, and then then select Add Calendar.
- After a few seconds, your calendar will appear on the left side of the page.
- Rename the calendar by selecting Calendar settings.
- Enter the correct name in Calendar Name field, and click Save.
When you go back to your calendar, it will now display under the name that you have just set up.
Please note: Google has stated that subscribed calendars added to Google Calendar may take up to 12 hours for changes to show.
This guide is based on Microsoft Outlook 2010 for PC. The procedure is similar for other versions of Outlook.
- Open Outlook.
- Click on File, then Account Settings, then Account Settings again.
- Click on the Internet Calendars tab, and then click New.
- Enter the calendar URL that you enabled in the earlier part of this guide, and click Add.
- Give your calendar a name, tick the download attachments box, then click OK, and then click Close.
At this point, if you check your calendar, you won't see any of your Cliniko appointments. You will need to wait for your regular send/receive cycle (which Outlook has stated can take up to 24 hours).
And that's it! You're all set with syncing your Cliniko calendar with your Outlook calendar!
Changing Privacy Settings for External Calendars
You can also change the privacy settings of external calendars for your entire Cliniko account. (You'll need to be an administrator in order to do this.) You can find this option under Settings → General.
Find the header that says External Calendar Privacy. You can choose the patient name display here. You can choose from first name, full name, or initials. This will apply to external calendars of all practitioners within the Cliniko account.